Month: February 2014

One Down Four to Go

Posted on

Created one hinge today, not too difficult other than accurate alignment of the holes. These are made from square tubing, parts RS-604 and RS-605, as detailed on drawing 10 detail F. A total of five are needed, two for the rudder three for the elevator.

image

image

Advertisements

Little Time

Posted on

Not much time to work today. Cut the hinge reinforcement blocks and a couple spars to the proper angle on the bottom.

image

Need to cut the hinges next

If You Squint It Might Look Like It Belongs on an Airplane

Posted on

Cut three ribs for the fin today, nothing glued yet. The top and bottom ribs are made from RS-8 and RS-1 as detailed in section C-C on drawing 10. I have not cut the RS-1 pieces yet. The bottom RS-8 must be drilled and anchor nuts installed before assembly. The rear spar also needs some reinforcement blocks for the hinges installed and drilled before assembly. As you can see there is a considerable amount of work that will need done before I start glueing together.

The middle spars are made from RS-17 and must be notched to fit into the front and rear spars.

image

The fin is about 52inches ( 1.3meters ) tall.

More Fin Spars

Posted on Updated on

The spar I made yesterday was flawed, it was not completely square. Cut off one rs-5 and re-glued it.

Made another spar that is identical, this is for the rudder front spar.

The front spar of the fin is made the same way except the rs-5 is replaced with rs-1. Now that both spars are made I can start making the ribs tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the completed spars:

image

image

image

Step one

Posted on Updated on

The first step in building the fin is to create the rear spar. It is made from one rs-532 and two rs-5 glued into the profile of a ‘C’

I placed two rs-5 between the rs-5 that make up the spar, they function as a spacer. Clamped this assembly together.

image

image

Covered the rs-5 with thin coat of epoxy the whole length.

Placed the rs-532 on top and stapled it to the rs-5.

image

image

Rear fin spar completed.

image

Well not quite completed. Need to remove the staples once the glue dries.

Fin layout

Posted on Updated on

Started laying out the fin and rudder, hard to get a good picture of pencil on brown MDF.

image

Verticle fin

Posted on Updated on

Reading over the directions I was a little confused how the gussets at the bottom attached. Drawing 10 bottom left corner shows this detail. Contacted David at TEAM and he sent me a good picture. The gusset simply glues on top of the other components which is what the drawing depicts.

This is something that is quite different than building R/C models. On models one typically tries to avoid “bumps” on surfaces and would inlay those gussets. Looking over the plans there are many areas like this. Following the wood grains depicted on the plans is a simple way to understand what part is on top.

When I actually get some things built I will post some pictures showing what these gussets look like.

First!

Posted on Updated on

Getting ready to start building a TEAM mini-max 1030 ultralight.

This blog will document everything it takes to make an airplane out of this:

image

Currently I am still getting my workshop in order. Picking up a band saw I found on craigslist tomorrow. Plan to get started on building the empennage this weekend.