Month: April 2014

Lots of Cutting

Posted on Updated on

Cut the RS-12, RS-5 and RS-662 parts for the rear spar carry through at station four.

image

Then referenced the Hirth F-33 engine mods and started cutting the motor mount base. Cut the two plywood pieces from RS-656.

image

Then cut the two RS-13 and two RS-11 pieces.

image

Still need to cut the RS-8 that goes at the back.

Advertisements

More Circles

Posted on Updated on

Started building the station four bulkhead using RS-668.  To cut the full circle with the dremel it is necessary to leave a small piece of wood about 180degrees from each other.

image

If this is omitted the end result will not be a perfect circle.

With a little sawing and sanding it looks like this.

image

Next I cut the two half circles then cut the connecting lines using my scroll saw.

image

I Don’t Always Cut Big Circles but When I Do I Prefer Dremel

Posted on Updated on

Cutting the radius in the RS-655 on the tail of the fuselage sides was made easy with the dremel tool.

First found the center of the radius.

image

Drilled a 1/8″ hole.

image

Attached the circle maker to the dremel with a side cutting bit.

image

Cut the radius.

image

image

After a trip to the band saw the end result looks great.

image

Fuselage Construction

Posted on Updated on

Constructing the fuselage has been fairly easy so far. Since I am using a Hirth F-33 I downloaded and followed the fuselage modification plans for that engine.  The only difference is the front where the engine mounts.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

image

image

image

image

image

Scarf Joint

Posted on Updated on

The top RS-8 on the fuselage sides has a scarf joint located in the cockpit area. To make it I cut the two pieces of wood, placed them side by side and sanded them to the same profile.

image

image

The end result looks great.

image

Hirth F-33 Arrived Today

Posted on Updated on

Just started laying out the fuselage on the workbench yesterday and my engine arrived today.

It was packed really well.

image

image

32oz of Bluemax oil was included.

image

Muffler, springs,  pipe and header included.

image

NGK C8HSA spark plugs and washable maxi-flow air filter.

image

Voltage regulator and starter solenoid.

image

Not sure on the exact name but this piece centers the prop.

image

Starter

image

image

 

Belt drive
wpid-wp-1397689172350.jpg

Carburetor

imageRecoil starter

wpid-wp-1397689309113.jpg

 

Dual ignition
wpid-wp-1397689373280.jpg

 

 

Tail Brace Tube and Brackets

Posted on Updated on

While some glue was drying on the elevator I decided to make the tail brace brackets.

These are made from RS-302 and were not too difficult to make.  After a little polishing they look like this.

image

After that I was thinking of the easiest way to drill the holes in the RS-402 brace tubes and keep the bit on center. The brackets made a prefect guide.

image

image

Progress So Far

Posted on Updated on

Looking good

image

Elevator

Posted on Updated on

Started working on the elevator. Cut the center rib from RS-10 and started cutting the other ribs from RS-17.

image

Also cut the center plywood gussets from RS-537.

image

Shape Leading Edge Plywood

Posted on Updated on

When preparing to cover the noise ribs with ply I was wondering how I would cut the angle properly for the two sides to meet together. What I did was take the plywood and stapled it to a noise rib. Then I could take the curved plywood over to the sander and shape it perfectly.

image

Worked pretty good.

image