Month: August 2014
The ribs are moving along and looking great. It takes me about 90 minutes to make one, the worst part is removing the staples once the glue dries.
They are all very consistent. Here are a few pics.
Eight completed, number nine is in the jig ready to be glued.
David is not ready to ship the nose gear yet so that puts me at a stand still on the fuselage. To keep things moving along I built the rib jig.
Not much to this, just followed the manual. For my board I purchased a particle board shelf from the local lumber yard. I thought the melamine shelf would make it easier to clean up glue drops. Used fine thread drywall screws to attach the cams. Tiny nails to hold the indexes in place, I pre-drilled the holes.
Works pretty good.
I cut most of the parts needed to assemble all of the ribs. Only made one rib so far but the glue is still drying so no picture yet.
The landing gear struts are pretty easy to make once you have a good method. My first one ended up with one hole drilled off-center. These are made from the RS-402 that is also used on the fin. Aluminum fin strut brackets to the rescue!
To get the hole drilled on center put one of the fin strut brackets between the axle and the strut, be sure to align the hole in bracket with hole in axle. The fin strut bracket is on drawing 10 bottom right.
Align the drill bit through the axle and bracket hole, then drill through the strut. Be sure to keep the bracket flat against the axle.
This is what the brackets look like.
Each landing gear leg has a 1 1/8″ hole for the axle to pass through. Drilling this hole is a little complicated since it must be drilled at 37°.
First I layed out the holes for the axle brackets.
Then I made the guide block as explained in the manual. I also drilled a hole in the side of the guide block that lines up with the axle bracket.
Using a 1/4″ bolt I aligned the guide block and drilled the hole through the landing gear leg.
Removed the brackets and drilled the 1 1/8″ hole from both sides.
I thought the plug looked kinda neat.
After a little sanding it looks great.
Making good progress, next I will assemble the gear and make the aluminum struts.
The four holes in the main gear axle must be parallel to one another and drilled perfectly through the center of the round pipe. With a little planning this was easier than I anticipated.
To ensure the holes are centered on the axle I clamped two aluminum angles to my drill pres to hold the axle centered on the drill bit.
Using a small rod in the chuck I measured between the angle and the rod. When the measurement was the same on both sides I tightened the clamps.
Drilled one of the outer holes first. Moved the axle to the next hole. In the first hole I placed a drill bit into it. Now I can rotate the axle until the bit in the first hole lines up with the bit in the drill press.
When drilling the holes I first drilled a small hole then drilled out to the property size. Both times I verified that the rotation was correct.
One of the center holes is off about 0.010″ close enough for this bird.
Attaching the hinge to the gear is straight forward. The plans say to lay the hinge over the edge to position it. I used some clamps to hold it in that location.
Next I made sure the hinge was straight using a small block to simulate the fuselage side. I checked to ensure the block was the same distance from the edge the whole length of the hinge.
Then I drilled the two outer holes and one center hole. Installed bolts and again checked alignment with my block. On one leg I was a bit off and had to epoxy a dowel in the hole and re-drill it. Once satisfied I marked and drilled the remaining holes. Installed the hardware making sure the the large washer is behind the eyebolt.
Installed the hinge and bolted it down. I am using hardware store nuts, these will be replaced with aircraft grade lock nuts on final assembly.