Month: October 2014
The aileron horns are cut from the same piece as the aileron yoke and rudder horn. I figured that I might as well cut them all out. Then I started making other metal parts related to the other items. The result is now the control stick assembly is completed.
Really no need to go into much detail as all these parts are pretty easy to make. One issue I had was cutting the 1″ hole in the yoke and torque tube bearings. Using a 3/4″ hole saw, a dremel and most importantly my rounded file. If this file was shaped like a rod, it would be 1″ diameter. Without that file it would have been more difficult to get a nearly perfect hole.
You can see how perfect this file fit this hole.
Here are the aileron, ruder and elevator horns.
Getting the aileron bearing centered on rib five is difficult because of where the hole is placed. After drilling the 1/4″ holes in the root and tip I made a rib sandwich, root, five then tip. To keep them indexed I use some scrap pieces of plywood.
Then I drilled the hole straight through all three ribs. Rib five now has a perfectly centered hole.
Once this was completed I started mounting the brackets. Assembled the center support and number it.
Put the bracket in place and clamped it.
Drilled the first hole then put a bolt in it.
Drilled other hole and bolted it.
The root and tip brackets were installed in a similar manner with the end result looking like this.
I don’t have the aileron forms made yet and I need them before I drill the holes to mount them so my next project will be making more brackets.
My weekend of metal fabrication was productive. The root fittings are completed.
All of the strut fittings are completed.
Saved the most difficult for last, the aileron bearing brackets. These are made from steel so they are harder to cut drill and grind.
Making the spacers was the most difficult. Cutting off 3/16″ long pieces from a 3/8″ thick pipe was more difficult than I anticipated. Pipe cutter did not work. A lathe would have been the best way to cut these but I don’t have one. I ended up chucking the pipe in my drill press and holding a hack saw blade against it. Then I ground the on the same by placing them on a bolt with a nut near the end. The final piece look great.
The two brackets that are slotted on one end are the center supports for the aileron attached to rib #5. My next project will be mounting all this hardware onto the spars and ribs. Then I can start assembling the wings.
Making good progress on the spars, all four are assembled except for the plywood. Since I need to drill holes on the spars for the root and strut fittings I decided to make them now so I can match drill the holes.
There are eight root and eight strut fittings made from RS-100. The only difference between the two is the location of the center hole.
I started by marking the location of all the holes and drilling small pilot holes.
These are used in pairs so it is important that the holes line up perfectly. On two of them I drilled one hole to it’s final size of 1/4″.
Next I used the pilot drill bit and a 1/4″ bolt to line up the two parts.
Then drilled the hole on the opposite side and put a 1/4″ bolt in that hole.
Then drilled the middle hole, all three match perfectly.
All eight root fittings are completed. Need to make the eight strut fittings and the aileron bearing brackets before I can start wing assembly.