Month: November 2014

Root and #1 ribs

Posted on Updated on

The first two ribs need modified so the root carry though gussets and brackets can be installed.

The #1 rib at the rear spar looks like this.

image
Minimax #1 rib modified for carry through brackets

At the front spar.

image

The root rib was a little more difficult to cut out since it is laminated with plywood.

image
Minimax root rib modified for carry through

The slots for the brackets looks good.

image

When assembled everything for together well.

image

image

image

Now that all the main ribs are completed I can start assembly of the right wing.

Advertisements

Completing the spars

Posted on Updated on

The wing spars were rather simple to complete. Once the frames were completed I glued the plywood sheeting on them.

image

My crew of cheap labor had a great time removing staples.

image

I then feed the spars through the table saw to cut the angle in the top of each spar.

image

Lastly glued the RS-561 center gussets in place.

image

image

image

image

The root gussets are not glued on at this time, they are added during wing assembly.

Support block for F-3A

Posted on Updated on

Former 3A is mounted at an angle requiring a beveled RS-9. Since I am installing a BRS parachute I have a slight problem that also needed solved.

The left bridle for the BRS needs to be routed behind F-3A and follow the former to the other side. Trying to find an elegant way to do this while still being able to open the canopy seemed elusive. What I decided to do is move F-3A forward a couple of inches so it’s directly in front of the bridle.

I made the RS-9 blocks that support the former and started working to mount them. I first clamped a straight edge to the fuselage where I wanted the back of F-3A located, just forward of the bridle exit points.

image

image

Then I glued the RS-9 blocks in place and clamped them. I was careful to set the block in from the edge of the fuselage to leave room for the plywood that will be glued to the block later.

image

Once both sides were clamped in place I removed the straight edge so it does not end up getting glued too.

image

Starting rear turtle deck

Posted on Updated on

While some glue is drying on spars I decided to work on the fuselage rear turtle deck.

Former 3 and 3A were tricky to cut from the RS-59103. They are basically stacked on top one another very close.

I copied the full size templates from the plans and cut them out.

image

I traced the templates and cut out F-3 and F-3A, stapled them together and sanded the pair until I was satisfied.

image
F-3

While stapled I beveled the bottomed so they will lean at the proper angle.

image

Separated I layed out the slots for the stringers on F-3A and cut them out.

image
F-3A

Drag braces

Posted on Updated on

Making the drag braces was fairly simple. First I calculated the angle to be about 45 degrees.

I nailed blocks into the workbench as directed in the manual so I can move the rear spar sideways to show installing the drag braces. Once installed I push the rear spar against the block to bring the wing square.

About five tries removing a tiny bit of length each time I had a perfectly fitting drag brace. Repeat for each one.

image
RS-9 drag brace
image
RS-8 drag brace
image
RS-7 drag brace

Each drag brace is supported by some gusset blocks made from RS-11. With the miter saw I had these cut in a few minutes.

image

Spar fittings

Posted on Updated on

Once the structure of the spars was completed I drilled the holes for the root and strut fittings.

I made a template like the manual suggested to help locate the fittings exactly and attached the fittings to it.

image
Fitting template

Then I located the vertical position clamped the fittings in place and drilled one hole.

image
Root fitting drilled

Installed a bolt into the new hole and drilled the other one.

image

Once both holes were in place I stapled one RS-561 gusset in place and match drilled the holes.

image

Then repeated on the other side.

image
Root fitting gusset plates

I made sure to label the guests, spars and fittings so I can match them later.

The strut fittings were completed in the same manner just used a different template.

Beginning right wing assembly

Posted on Updated on

Time to assemble the right wing. First problem was how to put the front spar against the straight edge work the center strut gusset sticking out.

I grabbed some 1/8″ plywood scrap and stapled it onto the spar so I end up with a flat surface to rest on the straight edge.

image

image

Next I paced the front spar in place and stapled some blocks to keep it in place.

image

Used the square to make some reference lines so I can keep the wing square.

image

Slid all of the ribs onto the rest spar and now I have something that looks like a wing.

image

Before I can glue anything I need to make the drag braces.