Month: December 2014

Completing the flap torque tube

Posted on Updated on

Now that the bearings are mounted I can complete the torque tube.

I used a square and a clamp to hold the bracket while I drillef the hole to mount the arm.

image

Once the first hole was drilled I layed the assembly on a flat surface and drilled the other hole.

image

Looks pretty good installed.

image

The only item remaining is the flap lever but that cannot be drilled and mounted until final assembly.

image

Advertisements

Flap torque tube

Posted on Updated on

Installing the bearings for the flap torque tube was rather simple but a little frustrating.

I first located where the center of the first bolt hole is located.
wpid-20141214_172255.jpg

Drilled a pilot hole and using a small drill bit to hold the bearing in place I drilled the second hole.
wpid-20141214_172902.jpg

With the bearing held in place with a couple of small drill bits I drilled the hole for the torque tube.
wpid-20141214_172911.jpg
wpid-20141214_173118.jpg

The I put the bearing on the inside and marked the location that needs cut out on the bulkhead.
wpid-20141214_173147.jpg

Using the dremel I cut the bulkhead and checked the bearing for fit.
wpid-20141214_174746.jpg

Once satisfied I drilled the pilot holes out to 3/16 and bolted the bearing in place.
wpid-20141214_184658.jpg

Fuselage top

Posted on Updated on

While some glue was drying on the wing I decided to work on the fuselage top.

I located where the RS-6 cross member is located.
image

Put the plywood top on the fuselage and glued/stapled the RS-6 to the plywood.
wpid-20141213_152623.jpg

The fuel tank brackets were then located and glued in place.
wpid-20141213_153531.jpg

With the center on the fuel tank filler neck located I used a home saw to drill a large hole.
image

image

image

I have not yet glued the top onto the fuselage, that will happen after I get the nose wheel installed.

RS-5 shortage

Posted on

The next step of my wing construction is installing the compression members made from RS-5. Checked my inventory to discover I only have enough material to make four of the sixteen members.

image
Compression member on side of rib

Maybe my kit was incomplete but I am sure that some of my material was wasted. There are lots of very short pieces of RS-5 used in various places like the vertical members in the spars. Had I cut the compression members first and used the left over to make the spar pieces maybe I would not be in this situation.

So that’s my suggestion, before you cut short pieces off a full length RS-5, cut off about 30″ to set aside for the compression members.

David from TEAM did tell me to “cut the longest pieces first” but in this situation it was not obvious I needed longer parts since the short and long parts are on different drawings.

Guess this is a lesson in the six P principal, Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

At least it was not too expensive to correct this mistake.

Right wing assembly

Posted on Updated on

Everything is in place to start assembling the right wing. After leveling the bench and sliding the ribs onto the rear spar I used the included nails to index the ribs to the front spar.

image

I plan to remove the nails once the glue is dry, they will just help hold the ribs in place as the glue dries.

Wood blocks were stapled to the workbench to prevent the front spar from moving.

image

On the right side I nailed a block into the workbench against the side of the rear spar. When the spar is pushed against this block the wing is square. I can slide the rear spar to the left making room to insert the drag braces, then push it back to the right to hold the wing square.

image

The the drag braces were cut and fitted, this was covered in a previous post.

After placing wax paper under the areas that will be glued I was ready to mix up some epoxy and start gluing.

image

The epoxy has about one hour of working time and there are a lot of things to glue. I decided to only glue the ribs to the front spar and glue the drag braces in place. After that cures I will continue gluing the other components.

After gluing all of the joints I nailed a block to the left side of the rear spar to ensure the wing remains square while the epoxy cures.

image

The top of each rib was clamped to the front spar.

image

To ensure the bottom of the rib remains in contact with the front spar I used two clamps every other rib. One clamped to the workbench, the other reversed pushing between clamp and rear spar.

image

This only requires a tiny bit of pressure, too much and things start bowing.

I used a combination of staples and spreader clamps to hold the drag braces in place.

image

image

Once the glue is dry I will glue the ribs to the rear spar, gussets to the drag braces and finally the RS-5 compression members. One completed the wing will be turned around so work can begin on the trailing edge.