Month: March 2015

Rear Turtle Deck

Posted on Updated on

Awhile back I started working on the rear turtle deck and it’s now time to complete it.

Former six made from RS-13 was cut using the provided template. Then was beveled to match the angle of the RS-5 stringers.

All of the formers were glued in place starting with F-6.

image
Minimax rear turtle deck formers

image

Once the formers were dry the stringers are glued to the formers. The stringers are glued to F-4&5 using the plywood stringer brackets. To ensure each stringer was straight I use cut a notch on the end of each stringer then pulled some string tight across the notches. Each bracket was adjusted until the stringer was straight with the string.

Some RS-7 blocks are glued in place to support the scalloped plywood cover on each end of the turtle deck.

image

Next I cut the scalloped plywood that covers each end and checked the fit. The rear piece I substituted with some plywood scrap of the same specification. Having the grain parallel to the tight bend was much easier.

image

image

Finally the scalloped plywood is glued in place. I tried to use only clamps but ended up needing some staples to hold it down.

image

image

The final result looks good.

image
Minimax rest turtle deck
Advertisements

Engine Cowl Continued

Posted on Updated on

Before extending the sides I drilled the hole for the starter pull string. It took a little effort to get the angle correct so the rope does not chafe on the wood.

image

To extend the sides of the fuselage I stapled a straight piece of plywood along the slanted fuselage side.

image

After carefully adjusting the depth on the router I used it to remove the plywood from the underlying RS-10

image

Now the plywood extensions can be glued onto the ledge created by the router.

image

To support the extensions two diagonal braces were added.

image

Because there was little glue area I added a gusset block.

image

Lastly some plywood was added on the inside so there are no ledges for debris to collect.

image

Now I can start fitting the fiberglass parts.

All that remains is to fit the fiberglass parts and fasten then in place.

Engine Cowl

Posted on Updated on

One of the more frustrating aspects of this build has been the engine area. This airplane was originally designed for a Rotax engine and I am using a Hirth F-33. TEAM did provide some fuselage plans specifically for use with the Hirth but they need refined because things just don’t fit together properly.

The upper fiberglass does not fit unless the engine is moved forward. To accomplish this I modified the engine mounting plate. The original is sitting on top of the modified one.

image

The four holes for the engine were simply moved forward by four inches.

image

With the engine forward the upper cowl is fitting better. If the top width of the fuselage at station two was a couple inches less it would fit perfect but it’s too late to make such changes.

image

Now for the next problem, the front of the fuselage is angled leaving nothing to attach the lower cowl onto.
The angle is needed so the hot air from the engine has some place to go but the fuselage sides need to be square like the plans for the rotax engine. Had I thought of this problem earlier I would not have trimmed the plywood sides so it would look more like this.

image

Looks like I will be extending the sides to make this work but the first step is to complete the front of the fuselage behind the engine.

I started by adding a couple of blocks in the front corner so I have something to glue the plywood onto.

image

A piece of 1/8″ plywood was cut to fit vertically across the opening with the sides glued to the newly added blocks.

image

Another piece of wood was shaped to reinforce the bottom of the plywood and provide a glue surface for the angled piece.

image

Finally the angled piece is added sealing the fuselage nose.

image

image

The next step will be to extend the fuselage sides to meet up with the lower cowl.

Completing Right Wing

Posted on Updated on

Just a few more steps to complete the right wing. I first attached the RS-534 plywood cap on each end of the wing being careful to ensure the plywood lines up on the wing and aileron.

image

image

Once the glue was dry and staples removed the plywood was tapered to make a smooth transition.

image

A slot was cut on the wing bottom of the root side so the control horn can be mounted. The needs to be long enough for the horn to be slid in from the bottom.

image

image

I am considering building some hatches to make access to the strut mounting bolts easier.