Month: May 2016

Electrical Wiring

Posted on Updated on

With the fuselage nearing completion it will soon be time to do all the electrical wiring. I used schematics.com to create my wiring diagram. 

Still a work in progress but here it is:
http://www.schematics.com/embed/minimax-27727

Advertisements

BRS Relocated

Posted on Updated on

Since I am tail heavy I decided to remount the parachute moving it forward while also reducing the weight of the mounting.

image
BRS mounting
image
BRS mounting

As you can see the pack can now be attached directly to the airframe and I can ditch that 1.5lbs metal bracket it came with. If your curious the manual for the BRS says this style of mounting is acceptable.

Next I made an aluminum bracket to hold the launch tube. The rocket is pointing slightly towards the rear directly between the two break away stringers and is mounted as far forward as possible.

image
BRS launch tube

All that remains is to connect all the bridles and insert the rocket but that will be the very last step of building the airplane.

N-349LE

Posted on Updated on

I decided awhile back that if I ended up overweight for part 103 rules that I would register it as an experimental amateur built aircraft. Not only am I overweight but also a bit tail heavy so last week I paid the FAA $10 to reserve my custom N number, N349LE aka Eagle.

Registering as EAB allows me to carry more fuel so I ordered up two wing tanks and plan to ditch the fuselage tank. The fuselage tank and my toes don’t get along and I never liked the idea of 5 gallons of gas above my legs ready to turn my bird into a crematorium.

Once the wing tanks are installed I can start putting the fabric and paint on the wings. Won’t be too much longer and the airplane will be completed.

Improved Trim System

Posted on

I never did like how the spring at the rear of the elevator cable worked so I decided to do something different. Both springs are now attached directly to the stick.

image

With no spring in the way installing the elevator safety kit at the rear of the fuselage was much easier.

image

I also installed the safety kit at the front.

image